Organisation & Workflow
- makina-states primarely use salt to deploy on the targeted environment.
- Our salt states are thought to be used in a special order,
and specially when you call salt via the sls:
- We apply first the nodetype configuration.
- Then, we will apply the controllers configuration.
- Then, we will apply localsettings states
- After all of the previous steps, we may configure
serviceslike sshd, crond, or databases. If we are on the scratch mode, no services are configured by default.
- Eventually, we may by able to install projects via
A project is just a classical code repository which has a “.salt” and/or ansible playbooks/roles folder commited with enougth information on how to deploy it.
- The configuration of any of the formulas (nodetypes, controllers, localsettings, services) is handled via Makina-States registries.
- Makina-States was first using the salt HighState principle of configuring everything.
- was based at fist on
nodetypes presetsthat were preselected collections of salt states to apply to the system
- This is from where the highstate will start to run.
- Recently we cutted off this behavior, and now you must apply them explicitly.
- highstate tend to grow and when you decide to reapply it you may accidentaly deliver things you forgotten of.
- It’s long, very long to wait to reapply everything for small changes.
Last Updated: 2017-03-15